Donovan Mitchell is one of the most promising young players in the NBA today. The Utah Jazz shooting guard has already made a name for himself as an explosive scorer and talented playmaker. Here are 20 things you may not know about Donovan Mitchell:
1. Donovan was born in Elmsford, New York and raised in Greenwich, Connecticut.
2. His mother, Nicole Mitchell, is a former professional tennis player who competed on the WTA Tour.
3. His father, Darryl Mitchell, is a retired NBA player who played for the Houston Rockets and Washington Bullets/Wizards.
4. Donovan has two older sisters, Jordan and Ashley.
5. He played his high school basketball at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.
6. Donovan was named a McDonald’s All-American in 2016.
7. He originally committed to play college basketball at Louisville but decided to enter the NBA Draft after his freshman year.
8. The Utah Jazz selected Donovan with the 13th overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.
9. He was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team in 2018 after averaging 20.5 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 3.7 assists per game.
10. Donovan was named an All-Star for the first time in 2020.
11. He helped lead the Jazz to the Western Conference Semifinals in 2017 and 2018.
12. Donovan was named the 2018 NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion.
13. He has endorsement deals with Adidas, Nike, and Puma.
14. Donovan is known for his charitable work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
15. He launched his own sneaker line with Adidas in 2019 called D.O.N Issue #1.
16. Donovan was named the 2019 Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year along with high school football star Quinn Ewers.
17. He donated $10,000 to support Black Lives Matter after George Floyd’s death in 2020.
18. Donovan created a limited edition t-shirt with all proceeds going to the Utah Jazz Foundation’s Racial Equity Fund.
19. He was featured on the cover of Time magazine in 2020 as one of the “Next Generation Leaders.”
20. Donovan was named one of Forbes’ “30 Under 30” in 2021.